2017-18 CAASPP Test Scores Show Consistent Excellence for PUSD students

The Pleasanton Unified School District’s (PUSD) 2017-2018 California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) scores continue to show that Pleasanton students perform at high levels of achievement in mathematics and english language arts.  The assessment, given to all California students in grades 3-8 and 11, measures student progress in meeting State Standards which equip students with the 21st century skills needed to write clearly, think critically, and solve problems.

 

State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson announced today that scores for the CAASPP online tests show increased progress by California students from 2017.


More than three million students statewide took part in the fourth year of CAASPP, which includes a number of different assessments. The most widely given are the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments, which evaluate student progress on the California standards in mathematics and English language arts/literacy.

 

PUSD’s results reflect the hard work and collaboration of all staff, families and, most importantly, students. The District continues to make significant efforts to align classroom instruction and instructional materials as well as to provide consistent professional development in the areas of literacy, mathematics,  assessment, and intervention.


Districtwide, PUSD student results in both English Language Arts remain consistent from 2016-2017 at 81% and Mathematics results at 77% of students meeting or exceeding standards. The District’s results have been consistently higher than the County and State averages for English Language Arts/Literacy, at 56.05% (County) and 49.88% (CA), as well as Mathematics, at 48.6% (County) and 38.65% (CA).


The District is proud to have made increases for a number student groups. Results for English Learners show an overall increase of 6% in English Language Arts and 10% in Mathematics of students meeting or exceeding standards.  Students who are reclassified as English Learners showed an increase of 4% in English Language Arts and 1% in Mathematics of students meeting or exceeding standards. Results for Students with Disabilities show an overall increase of 1% in English Language Arts and 2% in Mathematics of students meeting or exceeding standards.


PUSD recognizes that there is still work to be done. The data suggest that the District should continue to enhance academic supports to close achievement gaps and will strengthen programs that support 11th grade students in English Language Arts/Literacy and Mathematics. The District has committed funding, professional development, and resources through its Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP) over the next three years to support the success of identified student groups.  PUSD will continue to focus on these areas for growth through fostering additional supports and interventions that focus on student academic growth including our model of providing increasing levels of academic and social emotional support within our Multi-Tiered System of Supports.


PUSD will continue to promote our core values related to our Strategic Plan that all students, regardless of race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, or gender will meet or exceed standards and be college/career ready upon graduation.


“We are pleased to see another year of strong results reflecting the academic excellence of our students,” said Superintendent David Haglund. “These CAASPP scores are one of a number of measures that help inform the District’s work in bolstering success and providing needed supports for every student. We are committed to enhancing available supports and interventions to ensure the success of each student.”


California and PUSD look at a number of state and local measures and assessments to determine student college and career readiness. These measures are highlighted through the new California Dashboard, caschooldashboard.org.  

Individual student reports have already been mailed to students’ homes. To view PUSD’s CAASPP scores and other districts across California, visit the CAASPP web site at https://caaspp.cde.ca.gov/sb2018.