Emergency Preparedness and District Safety
As outlined in the Pleasanton Unified School District’s strategic plan, we want every student and staff member to feel safe, supported and to enjoy positive connections while at school. PUSD is a strong partner in the community's efforts to create and maintain a safe and healthy community for all.
The District has built and maintained strong partnerships with the City of Pleasanton, the Pleasanton Police Department and the Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Department. Our schools work collaboratively with all emergency responders in the event of a crisis or emergency. There are many components to creating and maintaining safe schools and we appreciate our parent, student and community support.
- In the event of an emergency DO NOT CALL THE SCHOOL OR DISTRICT OFFICE, as our first priority is to assist students and staff to safety, and possibly have evacuated. The District's emergency communication system, Blackboard, will communicate to parents/guardians and staff.
- It is important to remember that each emergency presents a unique set of variables, which will be evaluated prior to a decision to use the District's emergency communication system. Those variables include the nature of the emergency, time of emergency, estimated duration of the emergency, direction given by law enforcement and emergency services agencies, and impact on immediate safety of students and staff. The District's highest priority is to first evaluate and respond to the emergency and ensure the immediate safety of students; and then to notify parents/guardians if the individual emergency dictates.
- The accuracy of the District's Emergency Communication System (Blackboard) is dependent on making sure all information is up-to-date in the school district's database (Q Parent Connection). Any adjustments in your contact information can be made by contacting your local school. It is important to keep your contact information up-to-date at all times, even changes in email addresses.
- The caller ID will be the District's main number (925) 462-5500. Please don't hang up. If you pick up the voicemail at a later date, listen to the entire message. Do not call the school or the District office. If it is an emergency notification, it will include instructions.
- A school building evacuation may occur in the event of a safety threat, such as a fire or earthquake, in which it would be safer for students and staff to be out of the building. Students are guided by staff to a designated area and receive further instructions from school staff.
- A school may "shelter-in-place" in the event of hazardous materials being released into the atmosphere. Classroom heating and air vents are turned off and covered. Windows are closed. Students and staff shelter-in-place until they receive further instructions from school staff.
- During a secure school, teaching continues and students will likely still travel from class to class, use restrooms, etc.
- Only known persons will be allowed to enter the campus during a secure school.
- During a lockdown, students and staff remain in classrooms behind locked doors, staying quiet, low and out of sight. Windows and blinds are closed; lights are turned off. A lockdown indicates there is a potential critical threat directly affecting the site. Staff follow the Intruder Alert Protocol, that was developed in collaboration with our Pleasanton Police Department.
- Depending on the situation, staff may also be directed to Lock down/Barricade their classrooms, and be prepared to follow the Run-Hide-Fight Guidance as outlined by the Department of Homeland Security.
- In the rare instance that students are transported or move to an off-site location due to an emergency, families will be notified of where and when to pick up their child/children. PUSD will notify parents of the pick up location by using our emergency communication systems through the contact information parents provided in the annual registration process.
- Automated phone calls
- E-mail Notifications
- Text Messages
- Announcements on the district website
- Announcements on social media. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.