Interdistrict Transfer

The Inter-District (IDT) process is used for students coming in from or going to another district - transferring from one district into or out of Pleasanton.


If your children were attending Pleasanton schools and your family had to move out of Pleasanton, please follow the process outlined below. We will try our best to provide continuity of education for your children during this difficult time. Also, if you become homeless or move in with another family due to hardships, please review the additional information regarding the Federal McKinney-Vento Law on our Student Services website and linked here.


Additional Information about the IDT process

Priority for student enrollment must go to students of families who reside in Pleasanton. If you reside in a city other than Pleasanton and would like the Director of Student Services to review your application for an InterDistrict Transfer (IDT) Agreement, please follow the steps below. Understand that each application is reviewed in depth, on a case by case basis and approval is subject to space availability. 


Your InterDistrict Transfer (IDT) agreement forms will be reviewed within 30 days of receiving your documents.  Upon review of the information and available space within the District, you will receive a written response with the final decision.


Families requesting enrollment INTO Pleasanton

1. Obtain an Inter-District Transfer (IDT) form from your school district of residence. The District where you currently reside must approve to release your child from the District, so their signature must be on the form.

2. Complete the InterDistrict Transfer (IDT) form and attach necessary documentation (as outlined on page 2 of Alameda Co request form)

4. Typically, the resident school district will send your form to PUSD, Student Support Services Department. However, depending on the district, they may allow you to hand carry the approved form to PUSD. If so, submit the form to Pleasanton's Student Support Services Department at 215 Abbie Street, Pleasanton, CA. 94566.

5. If your child has any special needs or has been receiving special educational services, a current IEP/504 must be attached with the Inter-District transfer form. 

6. Please do not un-enroll your student from their current school unless you have received an approval letter from PUSD.


 Requesting OUT OF Pleasanton    Email your request to: 




1. Complete the Inter-District Transfer (IDT) Form (attached below)

2. Submit to Pleasanton Unified School District Office, Student Support Services for approval

  • Pleasanton's Student Support Services Department is located at 215 Abbie Street, Pleasanton, CA. 94566.

3. PUSD reviews and processes your request. 

4. If approved, take the Inter-District transfer form to the school district to which you are applying.

5. They will then notify you of their decision (usually by mail). 


Appeal Process 

As stated above, InterDistrict Transfer agreements are carefully reviewed on a case by case basis. If your child's application for an InterDistrict Transfer was not approved, it was likely due to our impacted programs and limited space. Our recommendation if your child's IDT was not approved is to enroll your student in your district of residence or apply for an InterDistrict Transfer (IDT) agreement to another school District that may work for your family. 


For your reference, our Inter-District Transfer policies and procedures can be found on our District website under Board Policy (BP) and Administrative Regulation (AR) 5117. If you wish to appeal the IDT decision, you may contact our Assistant Superintendent of Student Support Services. Our office phone number is 925-426-4290.  The executive secretary can schedule a phone conference to review the considerations for an appeal. 


If the Assistant Superintendent upholds the denial of the InterDistrict Transfer request, a final appeal requests can be made within thrity days of the denial to the Alameda County Office of Education. For additional information about that process, as well as the specific requirements for which an appeal will be considered, please visit their website at The appropriate form and handbook are available on their website. 


Family Residential Moves

When parents move, they must inform the school within five (5) days. Students whose parents who move within the Pleasanton Unified School District may either remain at the school they have been attending if it is not considered an "impacted school"; or register in the school in their new attendance area. If the former school of residence is considered an "impacted school," a continuing open enrollment form must be completed to determine if the student may remain at the school for the remainder of that academic year. At the end of the academic year, parents must complete an open enrollment form. The definition of an "impacted school" is a school in which enrollment exceeds staff allocation. 

For parents who move out of Pleasanton Unified School District, an Inter-district transfer is required in order to allow their student to continue in Pleasanton Unified School District. To initiate the transfer, the parent needs to contact their new district of residence. Approval of inter-district transfers is based on space availability and is not guaranteed.  If your request is not approved, you would need to enroll your student in the district that you reside.

See Interdistrict Attendance–Regulation 5117