School Boundary Adjustment Process
The District formed a Technical and Stakeholder Committee to review the elementary school boundaries and propose options to update the school boundaries. Our elementary school boundaries have not been adjusted for more than a decade and due to demographic changes our school attendance areas are unbalanced with some schools are significantly larger (more students) than other elementary schools.
The Stakeholder Committee comprises District administrators, school Principals, parent representatives (PTA), City representation, and APT and CSEA representatives. In addition to the elementary school boundaries the committee has developed recommendations around transition planning and impacts to the middle school boundaries. The following Guiding Principles have been used in developing the boundary options.
- The elementary school capacity (existing or with proposed new facilities) should be able to meet the projected enrollment for the next 5-7 years
- Schools projected enrollments should be balanced using boundary adjustments and/or school programs (i.e language immersion) to the extent possible
- The enrollments at the middle and high schools should be balanced to the extent allowed by the schools capacity (existing or with proposed new facilities)
- School boundaries should enhance neighborhood schools and community engagement
- School boundaries should support safe routes to schools, student safety and public transportation routes to the extent possible
- School boundaries should promote socioeconomic diversity among the students and community to the extent possible
- Boundary adjustment should include a transition plan that minimize the impacts to students and families
The District staff seeks further input from the larger community before we make recommendations to the Board of Trustees. Community members may provide input at the following two meetings in person or on Zoom.
- January 17, 2023 at Fairlands ES Multipurpose Room (6-8 PM)
- January 25, 2023 at Alisal ES Multipurpose Room (6-8 PM)
Stakeholder Committee Members:
Mary Jo Carreon(Trustee)
Dr. David Haglund
Technical Committee Members