Substitute Information

Certificated Substitutes
PUSD is currently hiring Certificated Substitutes!
Please apply at  If there is no current posting, please contact our Sub Services desk at 925-426-4320 for more information.  

Certificated Substitutes are a vital resource to our schools, but more important, they are essential for the uninterrupted learning of our students. Due to the implementation of Common Core and other teacher enrichment programs, Pleasanton is currently hiring qualified substitutes.

Certificate of Clearance  is needed before PUSD can apply for your 30-day Sub Permit.  
A Valid Credential. (California Teaching Credential OR Emergency 30-day Sub Teaching Permit).  
PUSD can assist you in applying for your 30-day Sub Permit if you hold a Degree from an accredited U.S. University or College and have met the basic skills requirement. For more information please visit the CTC Website here.
  • If you have completed college or university coursework at an institution in a country other than the U.S. you must obtain a complete evaluation of your foreign transcripts.  The general report is sufficient to apply for the 30-day Sub Permit.  For more information please see the CTC Website re: Foreign Transcript Evaluation (CL-635)
What is an Emergency 30 Day Substitute Teaching Permit?
The Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit authorizes the holder to serve as a day-to-day substitute teacher in any classroom, including preschool, kindergarten, and grades 1-12 inclusive, or in classes organized primarily for adults. The holder may serve as a substitute for no more than 60 days for any one teacher during the school year, except in a special education classroom, where the holder may serve for no more than 20 days for any one teacher during the school year. This permit is valid for one year and is renewable.

How to Apply:
Please apply through Ed Join 
Certificated Substitute Salary Schedule effective 8/10/2022:
• $125        Half day rate
• $250        Full day rate
• $275        Retired PUSD Teachers daily rate 
Long Term Sub Rate :
• $250        1-10 Full day consecutive in the same position
• $300        11-60 Full day consecutive in the same position
• $300        Special Assignments and Special Ed daily rate
If you have any questions, call 925 426-4320.
Classified Substitutes
Special Needs/Education Assistants/Paraprofessionals/Aides/School Bus Driver/Custodial/Kids Club

If you have any questions, please contact our Sub Services Desk at 925.426.4320.

Documents required to become a Classified- Substitute:  
•Tuberculosis clearance (TB test within the last 60 days)
•DOJ Fingerprint clearance
•Drivers License
•Social Security Card

Classified-Substitutes are paid an hourly rate. The rate is determined at Step One of the Range of the position that they are subbing.

Any offer of employment is subject to a criminal history check. Fingerprint clearance by the Department of Justice must be received prior to employment.