Student Services » Student Records

Student Records

Student/Pupil Records

Information on Student/Pupil Records

See Student Records–Administrative Regulation 5125

Inspection of Records

Parents, legal guardians or adult pupils have a right to review their own or child’s records. Student records are available for review during regular school hours. Requests for access should be directed to the principal, and must be granted within five days from the date of the request. In the case of separated or divorced parents, both parents shall have equal access to school records, unless there is a current restraining order specifically preventing records access. (A restraining order preventing access to the pupil does not prevent access to records.) Ed. Code 49069.

Release of Student/Pupil Records

A school district may permit access to student records by a specific person if the parent has filed written authorization specifying the records to be released and identifying the person to whom the records may be released. The recipient must be notified that further transmission of records is prohibited. The consent notice shall be permanently kept with the pupil’s record file. Ed. Code 49075.

Access Without Written Consent

School personnel with legitimate educational interests, schools of intended enrollment, specified federal and state educational administrators, and those who provide financial aid are entitled to access to student records without parental consent. Access may be obtained without parental consent in response to a court order. Ed. Codes 49076, 49077, 49078.

Student Transcripts and Education Verification

To obtain an official Transcript or Education Verification, please follow the directions on the Student Transcript and Education Verification tab under our Student Services website.