From the Desk of the Superintendent
August 3, 2021
Dear PUSD community,
Welcome back to the 2021-2022 school year! I hope each of you have enjoyed some well deserved time to rest and spend time with loved ones. Our PUSD team is excited to welcome your student(s) back for a successful school year. We are pleased to welcome a number of new members to the team, and I am looking forward to reconnecting with you as I visit school sites and classrooms. Our key focus in the coming weeks will be to ensure a restorative restart for staff and students - focusing on reconnecting staff and students to school, restoring the confidence of stakeholders, and reimagining how we “do school” in the coming months.
As we move forward, our team will continue to work closely with the Alameda County Public Health Department and California Department of Public Health to understand and implement their safety recommendations. The most current information has been incorporated into this updated COVID Safety Plan (CSP) and FAQs. which aligns our practices to current safety requirements as we prepare to welcome our students back to the classroom. Parents will find the most current local guidance in the CSP, including information regarding masking, site safety, and other precautionary and response protocols. We will continue to communicate updates with families via email, as appropriate, in addition to posting regular updates to our PUSD website.
For families who are interested in keeping their students remote, we are proud to provide high-quality remote learning opportunities through our Educational Options team via the Pleasanton Virtual Academy. The Pleasanton Virtual Academy continues to enroll students in all grades, from within and beyond Pleasanton, in a new and innovative learning program that includes both synchronous and asynchronous learning and is fully aligned to AB130 requirements for independent study.
On behalf of the Board of Trustees and Cabinet, I want to thank you for your ongoing support and engagement, as well as to wish you and your students a wonderful school year. In 2021-2022, we will focus on five goal areas:
- Leverage personalized learning strategies and growth-based assessments to increase achievement and identify opportunity gaps.
- Strengthen intervention and support structures to effectively improve the physical, mental and social wellness of students, families, and staff.
- Understand the systemic barriers to equity and inclusion in order to work strategically to deconstruct them.
- Promote a professional culture that values collaboration and supports efforts to recruit, develop and retain a diverse and highly qualified workforce.
- Sustain effective customer service, communication, and stakeholder engagement.
This is important and exciting work. Each member of our PUSD community plays a vital role in supporting the success of our students. I continue to be deeply grateful to each and every one of you for what and how you invest in our young people. This appreciation is echoed by our Board of Trustees, and our site leadership teams and staff.
I hope that you enjoy these last few days of summer. Your Board of Trustees and I, as well as the entire Team PUSD are excited to begin a safe and successful 2021-22 school year.
David Haglund, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools
Superintendent's Report to the Board
- December 15, 2020 Board Meeting
- November 12, 2020 Board meeting
- October 22, 2020 Board meeting
- October 8, 2020 Board meeting
- September 24, 2020 Board meeting
- September 10, 2020 Board meeting
- August 27, 2020 Board meeting
- August 13, 2020 Board meeting
- June 25, 2020 Board meeting
- June 11, 2020 Board meeting