From the Desk of the Superintendent
Dear PUSD community:
Welcome back to the 2022-2023 school year! I hope each of you have enjoyed some time this summer to rest and enjoy your loved ones. Our PUSD team is excited to welcome your student(s) back for a successful school year. We are pleased to welcome a number of new members to the team, and I am looking forward to reconnecting with you as I visit school sites and attend after school activities. Our key focus in the coming weeks will be to double down on our equity work, which has deep roots in the district. Building on the foundation set by our SEED leaders, we will strive to build a more diverse, equitable and inclusive environment in which team members can work and students can learn.
Our PUSD Mission and Vision has never been more critical or clear - That every student will be a resourceful, resilient, responsible and engaged world citizen - One who goes on to make a better world. These ideals drive each of us who work to support the youth of Pleasanton each and every day. On behalf of the Board of Trustees and Cabinet, I want to thank you for your ongoing support and engagement and to wish you a great school year.
This year, we will focus on revised organizational goals. We will work hard every day to train and support staff at the sites, as well as work with our families, so we can find success together. These goals include the following:
- Expand personalized learning strategies and growth-based assessments systemically to increase achievement and ensure access to opportunities that promote engagement
- Monitor and enhance intervention and support structures to improve the physical, mental and social wellness of students, families and staff
- Work intentionally to uncover systemic barriers to equity and inclusion, and then work strategically to foster an inclusive, equity-centered culture
- Promote a professional culture that leverages collaboration and interest-based problem solving in order to recruit, develop and retain a culturally responsive and highly qualified workforce
- Provide service to the community that includes multi-directional communication and efforts to promote authentic engagement and effective partnerships
This is important and exciting work. Each member of our PUSD community - our parents included - plays a vital role in supporting the success of our students. I am deeply grateful to each and every one of you for how you invest in our youth. We have lots to do, as this promises to be a pivotal year for Pleasanton Unified School District.
I hope that you enjoy these last few days of summer. Your Board of Trustees and I, as well as everyone on Team PUSD, are excited to begin a safe and successful 2022-23 school year. We will see you soon.
David Haglund, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools