Skip To Main Content

Substitute Information

Certificated Substitutes







Currently, there are no active postings on Edjoin for Certificated Substitute positions. We appreciate your interest in joining our team and encourage you to keep a close eye on our Edjoin listings for any future postings in this category. Opportunities for Certificated Substitutes may arise, and we want to ensure that you are among the first to know when they do.

On a more positive note, we are excited to announce that there are openings for Paraprofessionals within our district. If you are interested in making a difference in the lives of our students and are considering a career as a Substitute Paraprofessional, we invite you to explore these opportunities with us.

To apply for Substitute Paraprofessional positions, please follow this link: Edjoin

Certificated Substitutes are a vital resource to our schools, but more important, they are essential for the uninterrupted learning of our students. Due to the implementation of Common Core and other teacher enrichment programs, Pleasanton is currently hiring qualified substitutes.


One of the following credentials:

  • California Teaching Credential
  • Emergency 30 Day Substitute Teaching Permit


  • If you hold a Degree from an accredited U.S. University or College and have passed the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST), Pleasanton Unified will apply for an Emergency 30 Day Substitute Teaching Permit on your behalf. Please visit for information regarding the CBEST.

What is an Emergency 30 Day Substitute Teaching Permit?

The Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit authorizes the holder to serve as a day-to-day substitute teacher in any classroom, including preschool, kindergarten, and grades 1–12 inclusive, or in classes organized primarily for adults. The holder may serve as a substitute for no more than 30 days for any one teacher during the school year, except in a special education classroom, where the holder may serve for no more than 20 days for any one teacher during the school year. This permit is valid for one year and is renewable.

How to Apply

Please apply through EdJoin.

Classified Substitutes

PUSD is currently hiring Classified Substitutes for the following positions: 

  • Special Needs
  • Education Assistants
  • Paraprofessionals 
  • Aides
  • School Bus Driver
  • Custodial
  • Kids Club 

Please apply on EdJoin. If there is no current posting, please call (925) 426-4320 for more information.

Documents required from Classified Substitutes

  • Tuberculosis clearance (TB test within the last 60 days)
  • DOJ Fingerprint clearance
  • I-9 Documentation (For example, Driver's License, Passport, Social Security Card).

Classified Substitutes are paid an hourly rate. The rate is determined at Step One of the Range of the position that they are subbing.

Any offer of employment is subject to a criminal history check. Fingerprint clearance by the Department of Justice must be received prior to employment.