Skip To Main Content


California schools are required to check immunization records for all new student admissions at TK/Kindergarten through 12th grade and all students advancing to 7th grade before entry.Parents must show their child's official immunization record as proof of immunization. Information for all shots required for school may be found on the Shots for School website in English and En Español:

Parents guide to immunizations required for school entry   Guia para padres sobre los requisitos de vacunacion para entrar a la escuela


Under a new law known as SB 277, a personal/religious beliefs exemption is no longer an option for entry into school: however, a valid personal beliefs exemption filed with a school before Jan. 1, 2016 is valid until entry into the next grade span (grades 7-12). Valid personal beliefs exemptions may be transferred between schools in California only. For complete details, visit Starting Jan. 1, 2021, all new medical exemptions for school and child care entry must be issued through CAIR-ME. Parents can create an account in CAIR-ME and apply for an exemption. They will receive an exemption application number to give to their child’s physician. The physician can register for an account in CAIR-ME and log in to issue the ME. Once the ME is issued, the physician prints the form and provides a copy to the parents to give to their child’s school or child care facility.

Student’s immunization record must be presented to school staff by the parent or guardian and must include the month, date, and year each dose was received. It needs to be in the form of either the yellow immunization card or personal record signed or stamped by a health care provider or clinic.

If student is transferring from one public school within California to another public school in California, you have 30 days to provide the proof of immunization. After 30 days with no valid immunization, you will receive a “Notice of Exclusion from School Attendance.”

If student is entering Kindergarten, transferring from a private school, transferring from out-of-state or out-of-country, you must present the immunization record before entry into a California school. All immunizations must be up to date before student can start school.

Tuberculosis Screening

Effective August 2014, Alameda County Public Health Department no longer has an additional requirement for TB screening for any child entering school for the first time in grades 2-12, including children who recently emigrated from a TB endemic area nor children returning to an Alameda County School after visiting a TB-endemic area. Students entering first grade are required to have a health assessment which includes screening for TB and a TB test if determined to be at risk for TB infection.